Pavlova was a fabulous BBQ dessert treat for Hamie, in the early days, when we were still finding our way around milled flours and other ingredients we could use.... this recipe is super easy to follow and will hopefully have you avoiding gritty, foam filled store bought varieties forever....
Tip: use egg white at room temperature, make sure they are not just out of the fridge. Make sure your mixing bowls and the bowls for the egg whites are dry and clean. Add your sugar to your whipped (soft peak) egg whites one teaspoon at a time.
Ingredients for the meringue
8 Egg Whites ( I like to use free range organic)
2 Cups Caster Sugar (confectioners)
Pinch cream of tartar
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
To make your meringue
1. preheat your oven on low 110 degrees celcius (fan forced)
2. add the egg whites to your stand mixer or place in a bowl and beat to soft peaks
3. add a pinch of cream of tartar and mix for another 20 secs
4. now add your sugar one tablespoon at a time while mixing
5. once the sugar is added, and your mixture looks lush and volumeous, add the vanilla extract and beat for another minute
6. your meringue is ready when stiff peaks form and the sugar has dissolved in the mixture
7. carefully spoon out onto a tray lined with grease proof paper and shape (see image above)
8. bake for 1 hour or until set, then leave the pav to cool in the oven with the door slightly open
Top your pavlova with whipped cream, fruits and anything else that takes your fancy... fruits that have a zingy flavour work best ie. passionfruit, raspberries, kiwi fruits, strawberries etc.
Separate your egg whites
have your sugar in a bowl ready to go with a spoon
Ready for baking
Once your meringue is baked and cooled remove from oven... I prefer to wait till just before serving time to dress the pavlova with whipped cream, fruits and mint...
The Chicken Chick - Clever Chicks Link Party